Saturday, September 1, 2007

...and so it begins.

So it all began with the wild notion that I could restore a classic motorcycle. Having seen Mark Evans restore a Classic British Bike on the 'Is Born' series I thought "I could do that?".
Didn't last long, although having passed my motorcycle test a few years ago, I've probably spent less than 50 hours hanging on for grim death! I'd love to own a motorcycle again but in reality, I don't think it's ever gonna happen? It's more probable that I'll become a scooter owner!
Anyway, I digress...
Having searched tirelessly for a bike to restore (one that appealed to my taste) I finally gave up! Every bike I like that was in need of restoration was really expensive, it seems you can't pay enough for a classic British Motorcycle! No matter of the condition!
So with that I gave up on the idea of restoring or building anything until...
This summer, I saw a strange little contraption on the road, a very small off road vehicle that looked a little like a steel version of the modern pushchairs you see these days. Obviously a lot bigger and having a motorcycle engine in the back, it looked like a lot of fun!
I thought, let's see if I can find out about this on the internet... nothing, it was remarkable the lack of information available (or so it seemed) but the possibility of building one of these critters seemed to be a fun proposition?
So I got to wondering, 'Kit Car?' Naaa, way too expensive, easily burn a ten grand hole in my pocket for another Caterham lookalike, nope not for me!
But I remain convinced that I'm throwing too much money at 'modding' my 12/13 year old Vauxhall Tigra and sure it'll let me down one day in the near future, I'm in need of something to draw my attention away from spending too much money on a street car who's sale value will never meet what I've spent!
So I do more internet browsing for buggies, not really knowing where it would take me, but now convinced that:
a) I no longer want to restore a motorcycle
b) I don't want the fuss of 'restoring' anything!
c) I want to curb my spending on a "modded" road car
d) I quite like the idea of owning a street legal "Fun Buggy"
Then I stumble upon a website and a picture of an ABS Freestyle. I still have a link to this guys website but his brief posting gave me the enthusiasm I needed to seriously consider building my own!
I was now on a mission, I wanted one of those wee beasties!

No comments: